Friday, December 3, 2010

"A River Runs Through It"

                Recently, I was able to sit down and read Norman Maclean’s famous book “A River Runs Through It”.  Although I was subjected to read the book for my Lit 110 class, it was a book that was actually on my reading list.  The novel recounts the relationship between Norman and his brother in one single series of events.  As the title suggests, the book entails fishing.  But the aspect of fishing in Maclean’s mind is not just catching food, but he uses it to make sense of the world in a broader context.  The book touched on issues of alcoholism, family, relationships, diversity, and faith.   Maclean uses this book to transcend his audience into people above the traditional view of the world and society.  He wants his audience to have a better understanding of society, in order to make their lives better.  I learned so much in this book, and it has touched me in many ways.  Most predominantly in my faith and relationships.   My faith will forever be changed with the ideals of how I handle situations.  I realize now, that I need to become a humble Christian who is always there for other people.  Every person comes away from the book with a different realization about themselves.  The book will make you think and analyze how you are living your life, and will positively encourage you to make many changes for the better.   I would strongly urge you to read this book, and dissect it to the fullest extent.  It could just transform you. 

6 comments:

  1. It is a great book, I read it when I was in middle-school, it helped me develop my love for fly-fishing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read this book before. The way you describe it however sounds like it is a good book to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel that as a native Montanan.. I should have read this book by now lol.. It does sound really good, and I will have to put it on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everyone always talks about this story and I still have yet to experience it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds really interesting I have been wanting to read it for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this book. He really captures the lifestyle of a Montana fisherman well. In middle school I read it for Montana history, which is funny because it isn't so much about the history of Montana. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete