Saturday, February 12, 2011

Use them or Lose them.

            Flex your rights.  This was the predominantly used line in this week’s movie on 10 Rules for Dealing with Police.   The movie developed out of a need for citizens to be informed about their rights when dealing with the police.  After viewing the website that played a major part in make this movie a reality, I understand their motivation.  The creators of flexyourrights.org want to inform the public of the rights they possess so as to not be naïve when it comes to police encounters.  In viewing this movie, I came away with not only a better understanding of police actions but an intellectual approach towards dealing with the police.  I believe that everyone should learn the basic rights that we as people attain through our nations Bill of Rights, and be able to put those rights to use when the situation calls for it.  You never know when you’re going to have an encounter with the police, and it’s smart to know what to do in certain situations.
            I would first off, like to thank flexyourrights.org for helping to put this movie together.  I not only came away with a better intellectual understanding, but will put those skills to good use.  I didn’t ever really realize the connection with the Bill of Rights and police encounters.  I was always of the opinion that when the police ask you to do something, you respect them at all costs.  This movie showed me differently, and helped me to realize that as an American I can counter act many situations and confrontations.   Although I probably won’t ever have any need to assert these rights, it is still useful to know.  After all, you never know what may happen in the future.  
            The movies structural content dealt primarily with the fourth, fifth, and sixth amendments and how to use those rudimentary rules to overcome a situation that could potentially turn hazardous for me.  The movie didn’t give cops a bad rap; it positively encouraged people to be cooperative and polite.  But at the same time, it sought to inform people that they have rights and show them when, where, and how to use those rights successfully.  I definitely learned how to deal with and be cautious around police.  As the movie continually stated, “Don’t be tricked”.  I didn’t want to be tricked, so I paid attention and came away smarter and an informed citizen. 
            The movie had strong intentions of reaching out to help people.  It sure helped me, and will continue to help many more people to come.  I did however think that in doing this, the documentary was not helping police in their attempt to control illegal activities.  The police in many areas thrive on the ill-informed masses to accomplish their tasks of keeping the community safe.  I guess there is a balance that needs to be reached between the police and people.  That balance in certain instances may need to be shifted from one side to the other.  By doing this, the police are helping to keep people safe.  But the police also have the responsibility of maintaining a sense of equality.  I encourage you to learn your rights by watching this movie.  If you dont use them you lose them.

No comments:

Post a Comment