Friday, November 19, 2010

A Quick Prayer

            As I rushed through the frigid Montana air, my only thought was, please god protect my family.  I collided with the obtrusive earth, and everything went black.  I felt my mind slowly slipping away from me.  It was receding into the depths of darkness and the unknown, and I couldn’t get it back.  I tried to run after it, but it was moving too fast for me.  I stopped, and let myself fade.  I was lost in blackness so disturbing and cold, that my very soul quivered in fear.  I was lost and alone, if only I could retract the mistakes made in the last night of my life. 
            The night had started out like any other night.  I was at work, when I got a text message from my friend Greg.  He wanted to know if I was down for hanging out tonight.  I texted back, and told him that I got off at 9.  When I got off at 9 that night, Greg was there to pick me up.  Living in Townsmen’s Pass, aka small town USA, the only thing to do was to drive around and prowl for chicks.  So, we took off in Greg’s Ford F-150 pickup.  As the night progressed, Greg decided that we needed to get some beer and have us as he put it, “a real good time”.  My thoughts were the exact same, we had done this many nights before, so why not.  I’m only young once, so why not live a little.  Greg called his buyer, and we went and pickup up the two 18 packs of Bud and the bottle of Jack Daniels.   We were pretty much set for the night.  We figured we would just cruise around for awhile, and drink a few.  We would then park down by the river and chill for the night, and finish off the rest of the alcohol.  Just as we were each finishing our 3rd beers, Greg got this text from a girl.  This girl lives in Rhotesta, which is almost an hour from our town.  Greg had been pursuing this girl for quite some time, and he wanted to go see her. I figured why not, we’ve only had 3 or so.  We were doing 100 by the time we hit the “Leaving Townsmen’s Pass sign.    
            Our travel down that long black stretch of highway 99 was not to be long lasting.  As we drank more, the pickups speedometer became oblivious to us.  We were having a great time jamming out to some tunes, and never even noticed the signs.   When our tires left the ground, my heart felt as if it were in my throat.  I knew exactly what was happening.  My every sense was screaming at me, but I was totally helpless.  I couldn’t do anything but whisper the quick prayer, “ I know I have committed wrong in my life God, but please protect me, and watch over my family and friends”.   The impact of the vehicle hitting the ground ripped me from my seat, and threw myself and Greg through the front window, to tumble through the frigid Montana Air.
            As I stand here in this chilling darkness, I reflect upon the events proceeding up to my death.  I know that I am dead now, and pray that God will come quickly to deliver me from this place.  As I mutter that prayer, I feel warmth on the back of my neck.  As I turn, I am blinded by a light, whose warmth beacons me forward away from the darkness.  My feet somehow carry me blindly forward towards the magnificent light.  I feel as if I am coming home.
           
I read Dimensions by Alice Munro. The story really made me want to write on something that I know and something that I want to transmit to my readers.  As in Dimensions, the reader is left with deciphering the greater theme of the story.  I wanted my story to have a theme, which impacted the reader.  Dimensions was a very touching story, and it applies so much to real life.  I wanted the same for my story. 

1 comment:

  1. good story Jackson, lots of good details. I'm glad you took the time to read Dimensions. It's chilling, no?

    ReplyDelete