Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Reading...

Reading is a fundamental part of everyday life. People may not realize how much they truly read during the day. It’s amazing that by just picking up a magazine or a newspaper or even a book, how much you can learn. When people begin to read, I think most times they want to know what their reading about. They may check out the headlines, or read the inside cover of the book. People want to be interested in something in order to read it. If people see/find something interesting to them, they will usually take a deeper look. When we actually read though, we as humans most often try to connect with the people we are reading about. We use our emotion to feel about the person/story. When we can identify with what were reading we seem to have a willingness to continue to read. Some of us what to be loved, and some of us yearn for adventure and excitement. Through reading, we can experience those things without leaving the comfort of our own bed.


We as readers develop many habits. When we read, we constantly try to grasp what were reading about. We tend to want the Who, What, Why, When, and How of our reading. With this newly acquired knowledge we tend to think about what we read and how it affects us. Through this thinking process, we as humans, being very subjective, form opinions on the reading. I don’t know if many people do this next thing, but I know I do. I tend to analyze the judgment I formed and why I formed it. I try to encourage myself to be more open and debate the merits of what I read. This allows me to think about the reading on a broader level and many times from a different perspective.

I thoroughly enjoy reading many different genres of novel. I love to read, because reading takes you to a different place, time, makes you experience new ideas, etc… When I read I tend to become enthralled in the novel and can’t put it down. This ends up sometimes making me have very late nights. I get wrapped up in the novel, because I can identify with the character most times, or else it’s just plain suspenseful. Reading to me is like a movie, the only difference is that the way I picture the book is perfect. Many movies that have been made from books, I usually end up really disliking because it was different than my perspective. One of my most favorite books was “A Brave New World” by Aldous Huxley. I had to read it for English class in high school, and I thoroughly loved it. It was a deep book, which involved a lot of thinking on political ideologies, but it was very cleverly written and applied to everyday situations. I strongly encourage everyone to read it, even if you think that it sound boring. 

2 comments:

  1. "1984" was so much better but I really didn't finish reading "A Brave New World" I just couldn't get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about "A Brave New World", but I haven't had the chance to read it yet. I agree with Yana about "1984". It's probably one of my top 10 favorite books.

    ReplyDelete