Monday, June 20, 2011

Because only the intangible lasts.


The journalist and author Chuck Palahniuk once wrote, “ The unreal is more powerful than the real, because nothing is as perfect as you can imagine it… Stone crumbles, wood rots, people, well they die.  But things as fragile as a thought, a dream, a legend, then can go on and on.”  In my short time attending the University of Montana – Missoula, I have come to learn that those things; words thoughts, and dreams, can have a powerful influence in our world. 
Being raised on my family’s farm just south of Medicine Lake, I’ve learned that nothing comes easy.  But through determination and hard work, I can make a difference in not only my life, but also the lives of others.  Throughout my school years, I pushed myself to do my best in every way.  Whether it be waking up to run on my own before school, or putting in the extra hours of studying.  I knew that my actions and extra effort would pay off, not only for myself, but for my family, team, school, and community.  I didn’t know how those long hours would necessarily pay off for others, but I hoped they would in the long run.  I wanted to be an inspiration to people, a modern day role model that people could look up to and say, “I want to be just like him”.  After leaving Culbertson for my first year of college, I finally realized that I had left a legacy behind.  But it wasn’t a legacy of trophies and awards, it was a legacy based on thoughts, dreams, memories and selflessness.  I realized that in order to make a true difference in my own life and others I must live a life based upon intangible ideals. 
After coming to this realization, I came to the conclusion that my life would best be spent dealing with the intangible.  The Journalism program at the University of Montana – Missoula has given me the opportunity to utilize words, thoughts, and dreams, to make a difference.  Journalism is a field that can cause large or small repercussions in the world.  The work is hard and intense, but with my life experiences and determination to succeed, I know that it will be a perfect fit.  Life is worth more that just a piece of metal to me, and I’ve won a lot of metal in my lifetime; I hope that it is to you as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment