Monday, March 14, 2011

Is a State Trophy a waste?

                The buzzer rang, and the clock read zero.   To those disappointed Cowboy fans, nothing could have been worse.  Our thus far, triumphant advance to the center stage of the state basketball tournament, had just been halted.  The score board read 59-56; the fans and players were reluctant to even glance upon it.  How had we gotten this far, worked this hard, and played our hearts out; only to be beaten by 3 points?   I don’t know about the rest of my team, but my heart and pride was hurt.  I had made it my mission that year to win the state basketball tournament, and nothing was going to stand in my way.  But that night, the face off in the age old historical battle of the Cowboys vs. Indians, didn’t turn out quite as history states.    
My feelings after this game were of numbness and desperation.  I just couldn’t stop asking the question, what?  What didn’t I do?  What could I have done?  What should I have done in this situation?  What was going to happen next?   I don’t know how, but somehow I was able to pull myself out of this transfixion.  Perhaps it was the encouraging words of Coach Stentoft, or maybe even my own will to succeed despite all costs.  All that I knew and felt was that there was still time to shine in this tournament, and I was going to make the best of it.   I refocused my mind upon a new goal, and set out to achieve it.   This year, I would help my team in any way possible to earn a state trophy of our own. 
I know the price that has to be paid to earn a state trophy.  The fall of my senior year, this same year, I had helped lead my cross-country team to its first state Championship trophy ever.  It was a magnificent moment standing on that pedestal getting my picture taken.  But, was it all worth it?  I had spent so much time and effort sacrificing myself for a piece of metal and the right to be remembered only for a short while.  So, when it came time for basketball season, my mind was in a whirl.  The glory of winning that state championship had worn off and would soon be, just a thing some team did in the past.  We didn’t even get much recognition for it.   I really began to wonder about my priorities.  Why do I and most every kid in Northeastern Montana spend the better part of our whole first 18 years of existence on this earth training for something that we will never truly be able to experience again?  It’s the biggest letdown of all.  In communities that train you to think like a sports fanatic, and be a sports fanatic, how can a person possibly move on?  We can’t.
As a freshman in college, some of my best memories were playing sports.  I have come to the realization that sports are not just for the entertainment and physical values that most people see them for, but that they are there for a greater purpose.  That purpose is building character, and that character comes from representing your school, your community, your family, your team, and most of all yourself.  My time in high school athletics were some of the best times of my life thus far.  I gave my blood, sweat and tears for my teams, and I loved every minute of it.  The reason I stand here today as the person I am, is largely due to my coaches.   Those people gave everything that had to develop me, mold me, and change me into a person of character; worthy of not just a metal trophy, but a display of my hard work and theirs as well.  They helped me to realize my true potential, and showed me that through hard work and guidance I could truly thrive in any environment, under any circumstance.  Larry Gelwix, who is the coach for the Highland Rugby team, has accrued in his tenure at Highland a record of 404 wins and 10  loses.  One of his most famous quotes is, "I don't build championship teams, I build championship boys."  That quote is a reminder to all coaches, you are not only a coach but a mentor.  I thank all my coaches for being the amazing and heartfelt people you are and will continue to be.  I know that I can always rely upon the lessons I learned from you. 
So in answering my own question, is a state trophy a waste?  My answer is simple. If as a player, you are not transformed and changed in someway through the experience of winning a state trophy, then yes it is.  There is more to life that just sports, and the sooner a person realizes that the better they will be.  But, if there is a change and an enlightenment through the experience, the recognition is worth it.  Just remember though, the humilty, intergrity, and work ethic a person picks up along the way, are more a trophy than any piece of metal could ever be.   Don't desire to win just because its what you want.  Do it because you have achieved a level of self-disipline and character; you winning is just a stepping stone to the far greater things to come from that new person in you. 

2 comments:

  1. Little Brother, thanks so much for sharing this with me and everyone. Sports are an amazing thing if you realize that its the experiences that shape you, you make friends & develop character. I have had many coaches who have had a great impact on my life as well. And sometimes we as high school players take those experiences for granted. I realized this not til after I played my last college career game. And being a student assistant coach has helped me realize that I want to have an impact on the players that I coach. I want to be a mentor and have students/players look to me. That's what all my coaches have done for me. And I thank them all.
    Love your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, as always you have great insights

    ReplyDelete